What if there were a faster, safer, easier way to extract cannabis oil? What if you could do it without resorting to the use of solvents like butane? What if you could get a pure, potent product in a matter of minutes?
All of this is possible if you are using a rosin press. In this article, I am going to help you shop for the best rosin press to fit your needs. But first, I want to talk a little bit about what rosin presses are, how they work, what their benefits are, and what to look for in a press.
What is Rosin?
Rosin is a simple but powerful method for cannabis oil extraction. Originally, the technique was developed for a wholly different purpose—the lubrication of violin bows.
Rosin works through the application of heat and pressure, and may be used on flowers, kief, or hash. Is rosin the same as shatter? The resulting product can be quite similar, and can certainly rival shatter in terms of quality. Indeed, it may be far more pure.
The problem with other extraction methods is that they require you to introduce propane, butane, or other light hydrocarbons into your cannabis while you are processing it. Once initial processing is complete, these impurities remain, so you must then subject the product to a further purge process.
Even after that is complete, chances are good there will still be some leftover hydrocarbons in your cannabis oil. Needless to say, that is not something you want to put in your body.
The rosin press removes the hydrocarbons from the picture entirely. Since they are never introduced in the first place, there is no need to purify your oil afterward—it is already pure.
In all other respects, the product the rosin press produces is virtually impossible to tell apart from shatter. It has the same clear, amber-like appearance, and it is comparable in terms of scent as well as flavor. It also is just as rich in terpenes.
Another benefit of the rosin press is that it saves time.
Traditional extraction methods are far more involved and time-consuming, but the rosin press can produce an extract within a matter of mere seconds.
In effect, you are getting all the benefits of high quality shatter without the drawbacks of hydrocarbon contamination. This makes it a great option for personal or commercial cannabis oil production.
Different Types of Rosin Presses
There are actually a number of different types of rosin presses which you can make or buy.
- DIY Rosin Press: If you have a hair straightener and a clamp, believe it or not, that is all you really need to make a basic rosin press. You also need some parchment paper, a tool to use to collect the oil, and gloves to protect your hands from the heat. Alternately, you can modify a hydraulic shop press by adding heat plates and use that instead.
- Manual Rosin Press: If you want to keep operation simple and costs down low, consider purchasing a manual press. These devices tend to be smaller than their hydraulic counterparts (see below), so they offer the advantage of portability. You operate them using a hand crank.
- Hydraulic Rosin Press: With this type of press, you use a hand pump to produce hydraulic pressure. They are reasonably portable, and offer a kind of “in-between” option between a manual and pneumatic press.
- Pneumatic Rosin Press: This type of press is basically like a hydraulic press, but it includes an extra feature in the form of an air compressor. This frees you from manual labor. There is no cranking and no pumping. You can adjust the pressure level precisely just by pressing a button. Because of the air compressor, portability is limited.
- Electric Rosin Press: This type of press gets you away from pumps and compressors altogether. Powered through a basic wall outlet, the electric rosin press offers convenience and ease of use and is ideal for processing large batches.
- Hybrid Rosin Press: This type of rosin press is designed for large scale commercial use, and offers ultimate flexibility. It can run pneumatically or electronically, or you have the option of using a pump manually if you prefer.
There is no single “best” type of rosin press.
You just need to make sure that you are shopping for a press that will fit with your needs.
What to Look for in a High-Quality Rosin Press
While you are shopping for a rosin press, here are some important considerations to keep in mind:
- Some presses are ideal for commercial use while others are designed for personal use. Buy a press that will be suitable for your needs and goals.
- Different presses have different capacities in terms of how much they can press in a single go. Figure out how much material you will be processing at once, and then pick a press that can handle the task.
- How much room do you have for your rosin press? Check the dimensions of the model you are thinking about buying to make sure it will fit within your space. On the same token, think about portability. Will you need to be able to move the unit around, or do you plan for it to sit in one place?
- Think about noise levels. Some rosin presses are significantly louder than others. If you need to keep the noise level down, stay away from hydraulic models.
- Shop for a press with a clear, accurate display. You need to be able to see the exact temperature of the plates in your press. Make sure that the device provides the temperature range you need for the different materials you plan to process, and that you can control the temperature precisely.
- Decide how much manual work you want to do. Do you mind using a hand crank or pump, or would you prefer to be able to operate your press entirely with the press of a button?
- Simplicity and ease of use are important. One of the many great things about using a rosin press is that you do not need to be a chemistry expert to get great results. In fact, you can learn how to use some of the best presses currently on the market in a matter of minutes so you can start enjoying your rosin dabs right away.
- Buy a product which will stand the test of time. Look for a press which is manufactured out of high quality parts and materials and which will continue to work great for years to come. Reading user reviews can help you get a feel for how sturdy different presses are.
- Check the warranty. Another great way to gauge the quality of a press’s build is to check to see what kind of warranty there is. The longer and more comprehensive the warranty, the better of course.
- Choose a manufacturer with great customer service. Finally, if you do need help using your rosin press or you need to fall back on the warranty, you want to be dealing with a company that will have your back. You can usually learn a lot about what it is like to deal with a company by reading customer reviews.
What is the Best Rosin Press?
Now you know what a rosin press is, how it works, what the benefits are, and you are familiar with the different types of presses which are on the market today. There are a lot of options out there, but there are three rosin press brands which I recommend based on features, ease-of-use, price and build.
NugSmasher is a company which has made a few different models of rosin press. Right now, my top recommendation is the popular and affordable LilSmasher. This is a simple plug and play press which was designed to be fast and easy to learn.
- 6500 PSI
- Steel construction
- 4”x4” plates with dual heating elements
- Press measures 6″X9″X18”
- 300 watts
- Manual pump
- Lifetime guarantee
- HD power cord included
- Downloadable operating manual
There is a lot to love about this rosin machine. For one thing, it is built entirely out of solid steel. For another, it is a breeze to set it up and start using it. Changing the temperature is easy as well, and the press does a great job at holding it exactly where you set it.
It is called the “LilSmasher” for a good reason—it is very small and portable, no larger than most of the other appliances you probably have in your kitchen right now. So finding a place for it even in a small, crowded space should not be difficult.
The other reason to recommend the LilSmasher is the NugSmasher brand itself. NugSmasher has a solid reputation for delivering great customer service and for being fast and responsive about any warranty issues.
Standout feature: Lifetime guarantee
Best for: Dabbers looking for a simple, plug-and-play manually operated press which can process a lot of material at once.
Another rosin press well worth considering is the RosinBomb Rocket. This is another solid product from a reliable company which is packed with great features. Unlike the LilSmasher above, it requires no manual exertion.
- 10 inches tall
- Weighs 15 pounds (easily portable)
- 3.2” x 2.8” pressing plates
- Set the temperature as high as 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- 1500 pounds of force
- Fully electric
Along with its portability and space-saving size, the big benefit of using the RosinBomb rocket is ease-of-use. The design is the essence of streamlined simplicity. Using it is as easy as plugging it in, waiting for the plates to heat up, putting the material between the plates on your greaseproof paper, and pressing the button.
The fully electric design means that you do not need to do any additional work with a pump or a crank; the device does it all. Furthermore, that means you can use the RosinBomb Rocket anywhere an outlet is available—yet another reason it is an ideal choice for portable use.
Standout feature: Excellent ease-of-use with the push of a button.
Best for: Dabbers who do not want to operate a manual pump.
My Rosin Press
One more compact rosin press which is excellent for personal use is My Rosin Press. This press is no larger than your typical coffee maker, and is lightweight and easily portable. While it has a number of standout features, I would recommend it especially to those who want to achieve the highest level of control during the extraction process.
- 6 tons of pressure
- The temperature range can be set anywhere from 100 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Front facing timer
- Manual operation via a handle/crank
- 3×3” dual heated stainless steel plates
- Entire device measures just 11.5” x 10.5” x 8.5”
- Weighs 12.9 pounds
The front facing timer is probably the most noteworthy feature of My Rosin Press. When you open the plates to check on your extraction process, the timer stops. When you close the plates again, it begins counting again at zero. The benefit of this is that you can take notes about temperature and timing and gradually fine-tune the process to get the results you are looking for.
For ease-of-use, fine tuning, and a sturdy, compact build, it is hard to ask for better than My Rosin Press.
Standout feature: Front-facing timer.
Best for: Dabbers who want to gain precision control over the extraction process.
Conclusion: A Rosin Press Makes Dabbing Easy and Affordable
Now you know the benefits of a rosin press, and you have a few great models to consider while you are shopping for your own. To sum up, here is what a rosin press can do for you:
- Give you a high-quality extraction within seconds with just a few easy steps
- Provide you with an extract which is purer than shatter, but otherwise equivalent
- Save you money (in the long run)
Some dabbers may be daunted by the price tag for a rosin press, but it really is not as expensive as you might think. You will no longer have to buy concentrates since you can make your own, and that means that it probably will not be too long before the press pays for itself.
You also won’t have to worry anymore about introducing dangerous solvents to your body. You can rest assured that your cannabis extracts are safe, healthy, potent and pure.
If you’re ready for dabbing to be easier, faster, purer, and more affordable than ever, it is time to buy your first rosin press. Click on any of the links below to buy My Rosin Press, LilSmasher,RosinBomb Rocket or Premium now…